Monday, September 11, 2006

Master And Everyone

The first concert I ever went to as a teen was The Jesus and Mary Chain and Opal, opening the show was Social Distortion... I'm not kidding. I'm pretty sure the version of Opal I saw that night was minus Kendra Smith but Hope Sandoval was her replacement. Sandoval and Opal songwriter David Roback would go on to form Mazzy Star a few years later.

The Beach House from Baltmore reminds me of Opal, a little lazy, a bit melancholy and often foggy... their song "Master of None" kills.

Their debut record is out in a month on Carpark Records.

I stumbled on this band while listening to Hanna Fahl's excellant weekly Swedish radio program P3 Pop, don't be a stranger.

The Beach House - Master of None
The Beach House - Apple Orchard
Opal - Grains of Sand

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

does that girl have a major cleft chin?!

9:47 AM  
Blogger rad said...

nah, it's just hair.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my first show was Blue Oyster Cult, BeBop Deluxe and Angel at the LA Forum! But on a brighter note, I used to hang out (and even jammed once) with Kendra Smith when she was in Dream Syndicate.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home