Tuesday, January 31, 2006

When I needed sunshine I got rain

On June of 1973, during a drunken party, Robert Wyatt fell from a third floor window. He was subsequently paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair. He put out a single, a cover version of "I'm a Believer", which hit number 29 in the UK chart.

"My newly acquired gimmick of going round in a wheelchair was also frowned on in some circles: the producer of Top Of The Pops asked me to sit in a normal chair while singing "I'm A Believer". My wheelchair was not suitable for Family Viewing. I lost my rag but kept my wheelchair. Alfie remembers that the words of the song contrasted dramatically with the look on my face as I sang it. Until that moment, the only really serious problem I'd come across as a paraplegic was that I could no longer clamp a wine bottle between my thighs when trying to open it. The Top Of The Pop Experience was my first encounter with para-prejudice. It was a shock, to be honest. And it was becoming increasingly clear that I just didn't have it in me to put on the required show-biz act."

This song is such a favorite of ours, his cover of
September in the Rain

The cover of the Neil Diamond penned tune.
I'm a Believer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home